Friday, June 17, 2011

How are you?

I was very proud of my student Shion yesterday. When I met him yesterday he excitedly told me how he'd been to the A-Bomb dome and the Peace Memorial Museum the previous day.

'What? You've never been before?' I asked. It took a couple of seconds for it to sink in as to what a stupid question this was to ask a 9 year old boy, even if he had grown up in Hiroshima. I quickly moved on, 'So how was it?' I asked. It clearly had an effect on him, he's usually more interested in showing me his newest Beyblade, and he then told me he'd met a tourist.

'Hello!' he'd said.

Most of us who have spent any time here or have even just visited know this is pretty standard fare when coming across Japanese schoolkids, but, I was pleased to hear the tourist then asked him, 'and how are you?'

Shion replied; 'I'm ok...but a little scared'.

I hope that tourist appreciated it as much as it pleased me to hear him talking so genuinely in a language far removed from his own at such a young age.

Unfortunately, not so very far from Hiroshima in this very country, fear of radiation and the safety of children is more than a history lesson. Kids like Shion are being fitted out with dosimeters, and parents are worrying themselves sick over something few of us understand properly.

What would I do? In a way it's easy for me to say. No kids after all, but even if I did have, I still have family in not just 1 but 2 other countries. For those up in Fukushima and beyond, it's not so easy. They are atleast owed clear and honest information, but who's giving that out? Certainly not TEPCO. That's something atleast most people can agree on.

I can only hope that 'things' begin to be kept under 'control' and moreover the public are protected to the very best level they can be.

Think it's fair to say everyone is 'a little bit scared'.

No comments: